Mt Tapulao Dayhike

November 11, 2012

Palauig, Zambales


Given its reputation,i have prepared myself for the worse with Tapulao. This is the last leg of my Day Hike Festival and i wanted this to be awesome. And another thing, it'll really boost my confidence for Pulag via Akiki in the next couple of weeks.

Although this mountain lived up to its expectations of being so challenging, i have underestimated its beauty. Yes it will test your patience and physique,but it will also reward you with a priceless experience in paradise.

10PM
We left Makati and started the long road trip to Palauig, Zambales.

3.30AM
Since we're all first timers in Tapulao, we had a bit of a hard time looking for the jump-off. For those with cars, do not leave the national road to Pangasinan. Take a right before Simena and that road, after an hour, will lead you to Dampay Salaza Ressetlement Area, the Tapulao jumpoff. For commuters, you may charter a tricycle from Palauig town proper or even from Iba. 

4AM
Headlights on. Start Ascend. This the first time i actually am going on a night trek. The cold wind is a plus but the one that captivatedme the most is the sky filled with stars. I could not take my eyes off them, especially when two falling stars waved me good luck.


6.30AM

First Water Source at KM 6. By this time, one of us injured her right knee and decided to bail out and commence going back to the jump-off. It was disheartening. 


8AM 
Second Water source. Seemingly a series of unfortunate events for our group, another member cramped both his legs and can no longer manage to stand up on his own. We unwillingly left him by the little kubo at Kilometer 10 and resummed our trek. We're still half way through and it seemed Tapulao is slashing off our members one by one.

9AM

All my fears and fatigue washed off when i started to see Pine Trees beautifully situated everywhere. The rocky trail, although by this time still is a rocky trail, gave us a sumptuous view of the mountain range to the right. I felt energized. It seemed that i am just starting my trek just now.

The view keeps getting better and better and it's now overwhelming me. Back of my mind i know appreciating it is just my way of coping up with fatigue but it totally works to my advantage. My every step is filled with eagerness and gusto. I cheerfully greeted mountaineers we came across on their way down the mountain. 


11AM
Bunker and assault to summit. 7 hours ascend for our group may not have been impressive but withstanding the fact that we lost two members, that's pretty ok. And our guide Kuya Rodel told me that our time is fast enough; a little above the average based on his experience.








12NN
We decided not to go deep into the mossy forest since the view from where we are near the summit is magical enough. For me, it more that rewarding. I always make sure i let the mountain know how beautiful she is.

At nearly 2000MASL, this is the highest i've been in my entire life so i am savoring every moment of it. We were welcomed by the noisy and cozy wind blows through the pine trees and the mossy forest. We had a chance to touch the clouds breaking as it plows through the tress right in front of us. Yes, clouds are not on top of us. It's in front of us, and sometimes, even under us.

12.30PM
After a little snack time back in the bunker, we picked up ourselves and started the long way descend. With the scorching noon sun, we know that this'll be a little torturous for our skins. 



2PM
The sun failed to give us a hard time. the first few kilometers down had been foggy and as for me who loves steep trails descend, had been very enjoyable. Although the biggest disaster in my short hiker life, has yet to come.

Since i'm getting a bit tired of the rocky trail, i tend to go for soiled parts of the road. One steep soil few meters pass KM 12, i had a nasty slip and bumped my left shoulder and head to the ground. My shades got my temple bleeding.

With two people not being able to finish our trek in mind, i cursed that i will not be the next casualty. A few seconds of recovery, i felt fine. But my blood is freakin me out. I got up and continued walking. My team showed their concern but i dont want them to worry on anything so i picked up my pace. Few more minutes and i still know who i am and where i was. Then i knew i'll be fine. The blood is just me being a badass.

3PM
First water source at KM6. My injury affected my gusto hard.I started to mind the heat of the sun and the rocky trail. Overtaking a few climbers that we came across that morning when they were starting to go down though is an ego boost. One cute hiker actually talked to me when she noticed my bleeding temple. I'd like to believe she found it hot and sexy.

Photo from Mae.
4PM
Back to the Jumpoff now filled wiith mountaineers wrapping off their two day hike. But i dont want to tidy up using a bathroom. So three of from our group went to the river which i was told was gorgeous. 

Indeed Dampay Salaza river is captivating. The water is crystal clear, cold and very refreshing. Since we're an hour behind of our planned itinerary, we only stayed in the river for a few minutes, enough for us to clean up. This river dip is as rewarding as the summit and it changed my decision of not going back to Tapulao.

5PM
We left the jump-off to Manila and since this is a pre-climb for our Pulag a couple of week later, we finalized the details of that latter trip. 

Again, thanks to Mae for this picture.
The Tapulao cost me aorund 1K: 850 share foir the van rental, (500/8) guide fee. The visual treat though was priceless. And the accomplishment of finishing that bastard Tapulao in 12hrs dayhike? That's a badge i'll carry on my trekking pants forever.

I promised two of our members that if they'll make their 2nd Tapulao attempt an overnight with sumptous time sidetripping the river or the Zambales coast, i'll sure go back.

1AM
I went to bed with every part of my body aching due to fatigue. High hopes that i'll have the twighlight-like scenery of Tapulao in my dreams.


Here's my FB page for more pictures - Walang Aayaw Sa Tapulao


_______________________________
Hey i'm on twitter - @rome_john   

No comments:

Post a Comment